Sunday, July 19, 2009

Sue Silverman's Book Tour Disaster Story, Radio Style

[I'm reprinting the book tour disaster stories i previously had on my website, and happily accepting more book tour disaster stories, if you've got them! RH]


"Where's the kinkiest place you've ever had sex?" I'm asked, on a live radio broadcast. I'm sitting in my living room in Michigan, talking to a talk-show host in Denver.

He must be kidding, I think to myself, as I scramble in my mind for a real answer, a witty answer, any answer...believing I'm supposed to dutifully respond to every question asked. After all, my publisher paid for this radio-book tour.

But my mind stalls. I say nothing. Did he really just ask that? Maybe I misunderstood. I'm supposed to be promoting my new memoir, "Love Sick: One Woman's Journey through Sexual Addiction," a book not about sex, not about positions or locations, but about recovering from an addiction. Now, several years later, I no longer even remember my answer.

Nor do I remember what I said to some crackpot on a radio call-in show based in Los Angeles. In the distance, through the phone receiver, I hear the sound of car tires, and I know, at 2 in the morning, that some pervert, wanting to know the details of my sex life, is aimlessly driving L. A. freeways, a sticky cell phone gripped to his ear.

One by one, radio talk show hosts, from all around the country, none of whom have read my book, call me, phone lines and air waves silently humming with all that I never wrote in my book.


Sue William Silverman's new book, "Fearless Confessions: A Writer's Guide to Memoir," will be out in June, 2009. She is the author of two memoirs: "Because I Remember Terror, Father, I Remember You" and "Love Sick: One Woman's Journey through Sexual Addiction," made into a Lifetime TV movie. She teaches at Vermont College of Fine Arts.

No comments:

Post a Comment